Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243993 - 14/12/2004 15:09 Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm looking for a good All In One printer that costs about 200 bucks. I've never owned one of these things before, so I'm trying to do some research, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any pointers on what to look out for. So far, my list of requirements includes:
  • Seperate Inks for Colors
  • Automatic Document Feeder for multi-page Faxes
  • Flat Bed Scanner
  • Fax and Copy operation independant of attached PC

So far, I've found a few models that I think look okay, but each has their drawbacks and advantages:

Epson CX6600 $194: This model was the "Editor's Choice" over at CNET.com. They didn't go too in depth, so I'm not sure exactly why their so crazy about this thing, espeically when they say that some "normal" paper can jam. But it uses four color inks and doesn't use a ton of ink at all. Here's what I don't like about it:
  • No Internal Modem - Needs PC's modem to do FAXing.
  • Paper Jams w. "Normal Paper".
  • No Document Feeder.

Canon MP390 $145: This model also gets decent reviews and has a cool look to it. I think the flat-bed lid comes off if you want to copy a page from a book or something. The ink for it is pretty darn cheap too compared to my HP Deskjet. Here's what I don't like about it:
  • Only one ink cartridge for all colors
  • Ink cartridges are small and run out quickly.
  • No Automatic document feeder.

Which lead me to this model:
Canon MP730 $220: This is the step up from the MP390, but I think it's an older model. I don't even see it on some web stores nor on the Canon page anymore. The reviews are average, but it looks like because it's an older model, the reviews were reviewing the printer when it cost over $400. Now that it's cheaper, I think it might be a better deal. The ink is also cheap, and it has four seperate cartiges (3 color, 1 black) as well as an Automatic Document Feeder. The only issues I might have with it are:
  • Not as pretty as the MP390
  • Because it's older, might be harder getting updated drivers, etc.

Does anyone know of any better review sites that CNET or the custormer feedback I see at some stores? Maybe some personal experience to throw my way? Any help would be appreciated.

#243994 - 14/12/2004 15:28 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

This one looks nice too:
Brother MFC-5840CN $190: This one looks nice... has ethernet connector, internal modem, document feeder, flatbed scanner, etc, etc. But I can't find any good reviews so I'm hesitant.

#243995 - 14/12/2004 16:23 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I've got the Canon MP730. I've had it about 6 months now, no problems. setting up the auto-answer is a pain, never did quite figure it out, as I don't need it. Changing ink is easy....

Peter

#243996 - 14/12/2004 16:28 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: petteri]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Thanks. That's the one I'm leaning towards, now I just need to find one that's in stock!

#243997 - 14/12/2004 16:31 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I've been looking at the Brother networked enabled all in ones for a few months and thinking about buying one. I found a couple good reviews a few months ago, nothing that made me hesitant to buy one. One interesting thing is that the card reader was accessible through an FTP server which seemed like a Really Cool Feature.

I think you're definitly on the right track and requiring that they have a fax built in, don't go for one of those faxes through the computer thing, there isn't any point.

Matthew

#243998 - 14/12/2004 16:39 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
Hp PSC 2510
works well for me, network ready hardwire or 802.11b (built in)
little bity srceen, built in card reader (cf, sd/mmc, other) .

I can't say it's better than any other, and so far I have had no problems with it. but I have only had it for about six months.
I have not tried to print photos , so I can't say how well it would do.
it lives in a small business office and it gets used daily.

if I could do it again, I would give up the color for black/white laser.
I have yet to change the ink (weird).

#243999 - 14/12/2004 16:45 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: matthew_k]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I just wanted to add that the only reason I'm partial to the Brother ones are the ethernet interface for the price of one without. If you're not partial to that, buy any brand you want. (HP being the usual choice if it's up to me)

Matthew

#244000 - 14/12/2004 19:29 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: lastdan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the input guys. It's good to hear some long term reports (like 6 months etc) rather than the "I just spent 300 bucks on this, so I'm going to log into newegg.com and post about how great it is so I feel better about my purchase" thing.

On the HP, that's good to know that it sips the ink . My HP Deskjet is really expensive to replace the ink cartridges, so I was thinking of staying away from them this time around... but if they are better now than in 1996 when I bought mine, I'd feel better about it.

#244001 - 14/12/2004 20:19 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow, if your '96 deskjet is still functioning, I'm really impressed! If I could have gotten my all-in-one desktop printer to last more than the 2 and a half years that it did, I would have been quite happy. I've decided I simply don't have good luck with printers. I inherited an old HP laserjet which failed (not suprising), and now I have a very nice inexpensive Samsung laserjet, but it's printing terribly, though that may just be that it needs a new toner cartridge.

I envy those of you who have great working printers.

#244002 - 14/12/2004 20:23 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: Dignan]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Quote:
... great working printers.
Now there's an oxymoron.

#244003 - 14/12/2004 21:39 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
TigerJimmy
old hand

This isn't really an answer to your question, but I would strongly consider a laser all-in-one. Unless you absolutely need the color, the laser is a *much* better value over the long run. The inkjets are much cheaper to buy, but you get completely hosed on the ink cartridges later. The laser all-in-one will be much cheaper over a matter of a year or two, depending upon how much you use it. If you get a B&W laser all-in-one, you can pick up a color laser in a couple of years. Laser has print quality advantages, too.

Just my $.02. I realize some people like the color printing and its worth it to them.

Jim

#244004 - 15/12/2004 08:42 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Not directly answer to your question, but my HP G55 is still serving very well after 3 or 4 years (of, admitedly, pretty light usage).
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#244005 - 16/12/2004 05:06 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I'm definatly biased against "all in one" scan, print, fax, copiers.
They are fat, ugly and don't do any one thing particulary well.
Heck, even some of the big really expensive office print, fax, scan, copiers I've seen at work are broken or out of alignment more often than not.

#244006 - 16/12/2004 07:14 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: gbeer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have to say I am rather impressed with these at work as multifunction devices. Then again, I hope they would be since the starting price is $2000.

#244007 - 16/12/2004 15:33 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
DLF
addict

FYI,

Better deal on the MP390 at Amazon today.

#244008 - 16/12/2004 15:44 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: bonzi]
DLF
addict

My G55 has worked OK, too, although I definitely know where gbeer is coming from with his cynicism. Most "convergence" devices converge to a point of diminishing returns. Even something like the HD-DirecTiVo discussed in another thread is not *quite* as good as using the best standalone HD sat IRD & large-capacity TiVo components....

#244009 - 16/12/2004 18:32 Re: Need Advice on an "All In One" Printer/Fax/Copier [Re: DLF]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
How do you figure that recording the HD signal directly without any translation is worse than not? Not to mention recording two streams at once.